Saturday, March 21, 2009

Waiting for Spring



Apple Study
19 x 15
Oil on Canvas


February and the first half of March were spent illustrating a children's book and I didn't have a lot of opportunities to paint or to post any previous studies. The book art has been shipped and I can spend some time with oil painting again. It's interesting doing both illustration and the still lifes, it requires quite a mind switch. One day I'm painting whimsical little characters and scenes straight out of my head and the next I'm painting a still life that is set up right in front of me or from a photo.

This painting was another exercise in looking for colour in white, the shadows were vaguely purple but I pushed them as far as I could. Normally I lean toward accuracy but it's been wonderful fun to exaggerate the colours I see. How will this affect my regular paintings? Will it be a sublte extra bit of color or will it be more obvious - it will be interesting to see.

Apple Study
was done in January but reminds me of the fresh greens of spring that I’m waiting for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see your illustrations!! I can just imagine them being as striking as your paintwork!
Ronell